Monday, July 14, 2014

Theater Feature: Poly Wants A Crackup: The Tension, and the Laughter, Explode in Steppenwolf’s “The Qualms”


Qualms Reh_ -78
Bruce Norris and Kirsten Fitzgerald/Photo: Joel Moorman
A feature for Newcity Stage:
When a sex comedy by a highly lauded playwright hits the Chicago stage, I get the call from Newcity to devise the sort of feature you just started reading. Seems this paper thinks all I care about is getting laughs and getting off. How obvious I must be.
Pam MacKinnon/Photo: Joel Moorman
Pam MacKinnon/Photo: Joel Moorman

Obvious ain’t a word I’d use to describe “The Qualms” by Bruce Norris, now in its world-premiere production at Steppenwolf. The show presents what is for most viewers a specifically unfamiliar social setting within what are generally very recognizable trappings. That is to say: it’s a swingers party, but after all it’s just a party. With much hilarity the play offers insight into our ridiculous human habit of trying to enjoy the company of others while maintaining an individual sense of righteousness, or at least control. Before catching the show a few days later, I speak with Norris by phone. I start with a question firmly on both rails of my two-track mind: What’s inherently funnier, polyamory or monogamy…

( read full feature here )

No comments:

Post a Comment