Thursday, May 9, 2013

If Jesus

If Jesus came back no insurer would cover crucifixion, Affordable Care Act or not. If Christ came back, no one would cover acts of God, not even the network news.
If the Son of Man returns tomorrow: He will find me, uninsured, sitting at a desk, somewhere between the Chicago skyline and the worldwide web. And I won't ask to see the punctures; everywhere I look there are wounds anyway. I won't ask for a walk across the Lake with Him; which would be breathtaking. Nor for exquisite wine, nor for angels on wing to catch Him off the Daley Center.
When Jesus arrives tomorrow and finds me contemplating an elegant lunch or picking over whatever slim predictable dreams sink in my eyes, I won't ask for anything. I will just say Merry Christmas. I don't care what day it is; it doesn't matter if it's Lent. When He appears I will wish Him, and everyone, an infinite and merry and holy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment